Thank you for inquiring about our bariatric surgery program for obesity. Gastric bypass and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery are limited to people who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater (roughly 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight), adults between the ages of 18 and 70 years or adolescents from 16-17 years old, and those for whom previous attempts at dietary management have failed. Patients with obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea syndrome who have a BMI of 35 or greater (roughly 75 pounds above ideal body weight) may be accepted.
You will find available on this site the first initial screening packet. Fill out the initial screening packet and mail it back to our office. Once we have received your packet, our office will call to inform you of whether you are a candidate for surgery.
Once we determine you are a surgical candidate, you will be asked to complete a pre-surgical evaluation. This is a process that includes both education and evaluation. The process involves a team of professionals who are experts in the treatment of obesity. The team includes a behavioral counselor, nurse, dietitian, surgeon and a physical therapist. The behavioral counselor will assess your current social and psychological behaviors that may affect you as you make lifestyle changes. The dietitian will discuss your weight loss history and assess your current eating habits. You will be required to see a physical therapist for an evaluation of your functional and physical limitations. In addition, you will see the surgical nurse and surgeon at the Center for Advanced Medicine. The doctor will review the assessments of the behavioral counselor and dietitian. The doctor will discuss with you gastric bypass surgery or the laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding procedure as well as the risks and benefits related to the surgeries. You may be asked to have further testing or evaluations completed before your surgery is scheduled. You are also required to attend one gastric support group before surgery if you are electing the gastric bypass procedure.
Department of Surgery
Attention: Weight Loss Surgeons
660 South Euclid, Box 8109
St. Louis, MO 63110
Please note the following information!
- Once approved!!! You are responsible for scheduling the physical therapy, dietary and behavioral consultations. For the process to move forward, the paperwork should be forwarded to our office as soon as possible.
- We must receive the evaluations before we can schedule your appointment with the surgeon.
- It can take months before all of the supporting documentation can be gathered in preparation for initial consult with the physician. There are many individuals involved in the coordination of your care, so we ask for your patience in gathering these items.
- Your doctor may require you to complete additional tests before your surgery. The tests are for your safety, so your compliance is very important.
- Please be prepared! We ask that you submit your FMLA/employer time-off requests in advance. It is impossible for our office to complete this form on the same day as the request. Our office requires 7 days to complete the paperwork. Your cooperation is appreciated.
- Once your surgery is scheduled, we will call you and notify you by mail.
- Pain medication: If your doctor prescribes medication for your pain after your surgery, we ask that you please contact us before your medication is gone. We ask for 48 hours notice to refill prescriptions.
- Diet: Please follow the dietary instructions closely and get to know the foods to avoid following your surgery. You play an important role in the success of this surgery!
- Follow-up care! Please keep all appointments with the doctor, nurse and the radiology department.
Reduced Calorie Diet:
Our weight loss surgeons require a restricted 1400-calorie diet plan be followed for two weeks before surgery. Information will be provided by the bariatric nurse specialist.
Gastric Support Group:
To help you get a better understanding of the experience of having weight loss surgery, you are required to attend one support group. These meetings are held once a month. The dates and times will be made available to you once you have attended the seminar. These pre-surgical support groups are a mandatory requirement.
Congratulations on taking an important step in your life. We look forward to working with you!